No aprons. No complex cooking terms. No distant teacher speeding through instructions. No high prices or high brows. ShopRite’s Culinary Workshop is part demo and part Q&A with an experienced, down-to-earth personal chef who has a decade of cooking experience. The class also provides an intimate, hands-on education.
A cutting board, a chef’s knife and a recipe book were placed in front of the 10 stools that surrounded the chef’s demo stove, and every cooking class participant was greeted with a smile from the warm, personable Chef Dianne Pollick.
Read more on West Chester Dish.
Here’s a sample of the delicious dishes you’ll make in Culinary Workshop classes:
Zippy Sloppy Joes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes 8 servings
- 2 lbs Extra Lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced,
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jar Crosse & Blackwell Seafood Cocktail Sauce
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp Shoprite Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 8 whole-wheat buns, split
- In a large skillet cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until browned.
- Drain drippings from pan, and discard.
- Add garlic, jalapenos, and bell pepper to skillet, cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cocktail sauce, molasses, brown sugar, chipotle seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon into buns, and serve.
Photo Credit: Shoprite